Wednesday, September 21, 2011

To TIP or not to TIP

As a kid every time I accompanied my dad to good old humble restaurants, I would linger behind a few seconds till he left the table, to quickly grab the coins that he would place in the sauf bowl (I thought he forgot the money & once when I reminded him, all he said was ‘that’s ok’, so I ensured his money was safe with me, you see). So this assured source of income for my piggy bank continued, till the day he caught me picking the coins (damn my timing!!).That’s when he introduced me to the concept of tipping, that we should leave behind some money for the waiters who served us. However, the last couple of years, our bills have seen a 5 to 12 per cent ‘service charge’ added to it, leaving us confused with the question ‘to tip or not to tip’. Some say its goes to the Government and some say it doesn’t. So here in my next blog, I decided to decode the mystery of the Service Charge for you.


Your bill will predominantly contain VAT and service tax (which is applicable to restaurants having both air conditioning and alcohol license) both of which go to the government. The third item, the ‘service charge’ is imposed by a restaurant for the services rendered - in short, it’s a complusory tip that one needs to pay. What exactly happens to this amount isn’t very clear, as few, rather most restaurants divide this entire amount amongst their staff as a variable pay. Some hold back a percentage of the amount and divide the rest amongst the staff.

Now coming to the golden question of the blog; a survey conducted by TOI-Crest, indicated that majority, will check the bill for the presence of any service charge. If service charge is already included, then usually no tip is left behind, unless they are mighty pleased with the service. My research landed me on a quote by Federation of Hotel & Restaurant Association of India, stating that, if service charge is levied at the discretion of the management then tipping is strictly forbidden at restaurants that take this charge. However I don’t think that there is any law or legal stand point backing this statement.

Can you refuse to pay Service Charge? Well, yes you can. If there is no such mention of a service charge in the menu or in the restaurant, then you can legally refuse to pay that amount. Else you may need to be prepared to wrestle some muscle for it and fight your way out.

'TIPS' read as ‘To Insure Prompt Service’ & usually tipping is something that’s voluntary, and its a reciprocal act appreciating the quality of service. But most Indian restaurateurs’ believe that when it comes to tipping, Indians are little less generous and so to keep up the zeal of the staff and correspondingly the quality of service, a guaranteed tip is taken from the guests.

10 comments:

  1. Nice :) U definitely saved a lot of bucks from my pocket. Nxt time will be careful even if it requires to "wrestle some muscles":)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thats a nice tip on to tip or not to tip..i am happy with the service this article provided..should i tip for it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Vish ... Yeh see I am giving you so many ideas ;) and thanks....

    @ Jai .. Thanks yaar..and Since I dont include ne service charges on my blog ..you r free to do that...I shall give u a long list of possible tips when u r coming to India next..I shall make do with it....

    ReplyDelete
  4. good one. I will think before tipping now .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chindi aunty... marofying some poor souls additional income... chey chey chey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and informative one, specially useful in current times !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i guess ppl think the change left behind is a shame to pick it up back so dey leave it there (indirect tip) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Gauri and Sanji >> Thanks :)

    @ naveen >> if you have some excess income stacked in ur house that u dont mind being looted then you can give them to me & the rest of the gang.. grrrr

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Kapil..I think its actually to prohibit the kids the joy of picking the lose coins off the table ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey this is nice... great info... But I generally like to tip if service charge is applied or not... just feel good after tipping :)

    ReplyDelete